Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Making games tailored to mobile devices

Develop had another article that discusses how we are using mobile hardware in game development.  The gist of the article is that the best games take advantage of the unique capabilities of mobile devices.  I have seen way too many games that were originally designed for consoles or computers but are ported over to a mobile device so that the controls end up being horribly clunky.  I think I have been a victim of this mentality especially when using the preview feature in ShiVa3D.  My game is focused on mouse control at the moment and I have found myself loosing touch with the nuances of a touch interface.  I may have to find an Android device I can borrow so that I can start testing on the actual device.  I don't want to wait until the project is nearly done only to find out that my interface doesn't really make sense for a touch screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment