Friday, May 13, 2011

Game features

I figure it is a good idea to sit down and put together a tentative list of features when working on a game.  I think this will help me to brainstorm how the game will work and what I need to program, graphical resources needed, etc.  Here is my list so far:
  • Physical level that will house all of the game play objects and also provide boundaries that will interact with the physics.
  • Ball - The object we are trying to get to the target.  Possibly have different skins.
  • Target - goal for the ball.  Most likely be standard design to make it easy to identify.
  • Movable items - items that will be inside the level - placed during level design - that the player will have to move in order ricochet the ball to the target.
    • Columns or other simple physical shapes
    • Trampoline - adds force to the ball
    • Cannon - if you get the ball in the loader, will enable you to aim and fire the ball.
    • Teleporter - probably not movable, but will teleport the ball from one gate to another.
  • Puzzles - Walls of flame, doors or other obstacles that must be dealt with through a series of actions
  • Hidden items - some form of hidden items or achievements somewhere within the level.
I'm sure the list will grow over time, but I am committed to keeping the list manageable.  Variations with similar functionality would be fairly easy to implement with minimal design time, such as several different basic shapes that only function as colliders.

I wanted to see some ideas of the more visually appealing items, so I threw this together for the teleporter in the Shiva3D particle editor real quick:


The video conversion made it a bit laggy at the beginning, but I think it turned out nice.  With the proper lighting I think it will look pretty cool.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment